Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wanted

Another of one of this year's summer blockbusters is the movie Wanted, adapted from the Mark Millar's graphic novel of the same name. The movie stars James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman, and was the first american movie directed by Timur Bekmambetov (known for his 2004 movie Night Watch). I saw Wanted last night. I wasn't expecting much out of it - I was only hoping to be entertained.


I can't speak for the movie's fidelity to its original source, because I never read the graphic novel, but I'm aware that some parts of the story were cut, and in my opinion it was probably for the best. If the adaptation tried to be completely faithful, it would probably be too scattered and would fail on the big screen. That's just my two cents though, and I can be totally wrong.
The movie follows the events that change the life of the "most insignificant asshole in the world", Wesley Gibson, as he morphs from a boring, stepped-on accountant into a member of an elite society of killers, called The Fraternity. It's a violent process, but also a funny one, as the movie is filled with a sort of dark sense of humor I really enjoyed.
James McAvoy does a decent acting job, and so do the other cast members - nothing to write home about, but not bad either. The special effects are all pretty stylish, but it's obvious the movie took a lot out of earlier classics like The Matrix, and even, in my opinion, Equilibrium - the gun fight at the end really reminded me of this poorly-known flick. Still, they work well and provide eye candy, even if they're not overly original. The story has some clichés - I won't point them out because I don't want to spoil anything - and is very predictable at times, and that was probably my biggest problem with the movie, along with, maybe, the excess of slow motion scenes.
Ultimately, the movie's message is to take control of your life and make your own choices, but not all of us were fated to bend bullets :P
Of course, this movie is no Godfather, so don't go in there expecting to see the best movie of all time - but if you pay your ticket in hopes of seeing an action-packed movie that will entertain you and not insult your intelligence too much, you might just get what you're going for.



It takes 3 out of 5 stars from me.

No comments: